How to get a Gambling License in Canada in 2023
Gambling is legal in Canada, but the rules vary from province to province and territory to territory. The federal government allows each region to independently regulate and issue a gambling license in Canada according to its internal rules.
The gambling industry in Canada: what you need to know
Canada is a federation that is divided into 10 provinces and 3 territories. At the federal level, the Criminal Code regulates the gambling industry under which gambling is illegal. The exception is when the local government has made a different decision and has taken control of the gambling industry in the region.
At the country's level, this direction is regulated by the Canadian Gambling Commission. It does not interfere with local laws, so both offline and online gambling is controlled at the regional and territorial level:
- Alberta - only charitable and religious organizations can offer gambling services. Only the PlayAlberta gaming platform is officially allowed to operate in the region.
- British Columbia - local authorities allow offline casinos, but when it comes to online business, only PlayNow platform is official.
- Newfoundland and Labrador - gambling is prohibited in the region, except for sports betting on Pro-Line portal.
- Saskatchewan - gambling is illegal.
Only two regions of Ontario and Kahnawake offer foreigners the opportunity to work in the gambling industry. To receive a gambling license in Canada one must pass a thorough check with the regulator, collect many documents and meet other requirements.
Gambling business in Ontario
The Alcohol and Gambling Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has developed a system specifically for foreigners, making their business legal and bringing profit to the provincial budget. To do so, the company must register in Ontario, after which the AGCO authorizes them to provide gambling services to residents. To do this, the operator must sign a publicity agreement with iGaming Ontario, which will supervise their operations.
Gambling in Kanawake
Kanawake is an area in Canada that is not subject to federal laws. The land is owned by the Mohawk Indians, who live there by their own rules.
The Gambling Commission was created in Kanawake in 1996, granting several types of licenses to operators. The commission works with both local and international operators. The exception is casinos that offer services to U.S. customers.
Some of Kanawake's advantages are listed below:
- No corporate taxes or additional gambling commissions;
- Absence of minimum capital requirements;
- Online casinos can legally use software from reliable developers and install payment systems on the site.
Players trust casinos that operate under a Kanawake license because the Commission protects their rights. If it detects cases of fraud, it punishes unscrupulous operators.
How to get a gambling license in Canada
Contact IT-OFFSHORE to apply for a Canadian gambling license in 2023.