How to buy a ready-made company in Germany in 2022
Buying a ready-made company in Germany in 2022 saves time that would have been spent on its registration, collecting documents, and registering from scratch. Creating a new company takes from 1 to 3 months, whereas after buying a ready-made business you can start working immediately. Another plus is that the company can be bought remotely through intermediaries, if it is not possible to come to Germany.
What types of companies you can buy in Germany
- GmbH (limited liability company) - the most common type, when shareholders are not liable for the debts of the company. The authorized capital is €25 000. Shares are not issued a certificate, are not quoted on stock exchanges, but can be transferred through a notarial deed. The owner may be 1 person;
- AG (joint-stock company) - from 5 shareholders, the authorized capital from €50 000, shares can be listed on stock exchanges;
- OHG (General partnership) - partners have unlimited liability. All of them have to actively participate in the company unless otherwise stipulated in the partnership agreement;
- KG (Limited Partnership) - a type of partnership, which provides for limitations of liability. For example, there may be a CEO with unlimited liability or a partner that is only responsible for his share;
- GmbH & Co. KG (limited partnership with LLC as the general director) - partners are only liable to the extent of their share. This is often how branches of the parent company are registered;
- Zweigniederlassung (branch) - sales center, which is almost completely independent of the main office.
How much does a company cost in Germany
The price of the company is negotiated individually in each case and depends on its condition - whether it is functioning or executed only on papers, whether there are credits, black history, problems with taxation, success in business etc. The cost is determined after a thorough inspection of the entire enterprise.
There are also mandatory costs that any buyer will have to pay:
- Notary costs - usually higher than establishing a new company. The price depends on the type of company. For example, buying GmbH costs around €1200 excluding VAT;
- Registration fees. It is obligatory to register the company at the commercial registry. The price depends on the type of changes made by the notary at the time of purchase - from €60 to €300;
- Registration of business in Ordnungsamt (Office of Public Order) or local authorities (in small towns) - from €15 to €55, depending on the municipality. Companies engaged in real estate or asset management do not need to register. Our specialists will tell you more accurately.
What documents are required to buy a German company
To buy a ready-made company in Germany in 2022, you need the following papers:
- a photocopy of a foreign passport, certified by a notary;
- certificate of income from the bank for the past six months (if available);
- copy of the physical office lease agreement (if any);
- certificate of subscription.
The registrar may ask for other papers as well. All documents must be translated into German and notarized. If there is more than one buyer, the paperwork will specify the share of each participant in the business.
What changes the buyer can make to the company
When buying a business in Germany, the new owner can change these attributes:
- the name of the company;
- type of activity;
- registered office;
- bank account - close in one bank, open in another;
- the type of company (e.g. from GmbH to AG).
When you can start work
The new owner can begin work in about a week after the payment and signing of all documents. The re-registration procedure will last another 1-2 weeks, but it does not prevent the work.
How to buy a ready-made company in Germany
If you want to buy a ready-made business in Germany in 2022 profitably, contact IT-OFFSHORE experts.