Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal: what you need to know
Digital Nomad Visa is a Digital Nomad Visa that allows freelancers and other foreigners with a stable income abroad to live in Portugal. It is not only a remote work in the network, but also renting out real estate, receiving large dividends, interest, etc. An important condition - the applicant for Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal must have a stable source of income in another country.
What is the Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal
The Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal is known as the D7 Visa. It allows you to officially live in the country for up to 2 years with the possibility of extension, bring your family here.
Features of Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal
The D7 visa was created to obtain a residence permit in Portugal for retirees who live outside the EU, but want to live in Portugal. Due to the absence of age restrictions, it has attracted the attention of freelancers, as it has many advantages:
- The lowest stable income requirements in the EU - from €705 per month;
- Ability to work in the country;
- Citizenship within 5 years, if the applicant spends the required amount of time in the country, fulfills all the necessary conditions;
- Ability to use the ultra-developed infrastructure, live in a warm, comfortable country.
Requirements for obtaining a D7 visa
To obtain a digital nomad visa, you must make the following:
- Prove an income, the amount of which is equal to the minimum wage in Portugal - €705 per month. The price of a visa for a married couple is €1057, if there are two other children - €1480;
- Permission from a foreign company to work abroad (for an official employee);
- Obtain a tax identification number (NIF) by applying to the local tax and customs office;
- Open an account with a local bank, where the account should be deposited. The higher the amount, the better the chances of obtaining a visa;
- In order to be able to extend a visa without problems, you must stay in Portugal for at least 6 months a year;
- Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your D7 visa expires.
To increase the chances of obtaining a visa, it is necessary to provide an employment contract with a foreign company, the term of which ends no earlier than one year. This is explained by the fact that the authorities tend to consider freelancing as a job with unstable income. If there is no such work, it is desirable to have an amount on the account, which provides accommodation for 2 years.
Documents for the Digital Nomad Visa
To obtain a D7 visa, you must fill out an application form, downloaded from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Portugal. You must also attach a photo that meets the requirements for photos that are required for Schengen visas.
You will need these documents:
- A rental agreement with a Portuguese landlord, or booking an apartment through the AirBnB service (if your case allows it);
- An accompanying letter stating the reason you want to live in the country;
- Health insurance valid in Portugal. It must cover treatment for €30,000;
- A certificate that confirms the absence of a criminal record.
How to apply for a Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal
To become a Digital Nomad Visa holder in Portugal, you must make the following:
- Come to the Portuguese diplomatic mission that has the authority to issue a D7 visa; In some cases, the paperwork can be submitted by sending a registered letter;
- Present a full package of documents to the officer. We recommend that you speak to our consultants in advance so that you do not get turned away for some kind of certificate. The application price for a D7 visa as of 2022 is €180, but may vary from office to office;
- An authorized person will process the application for 3 to 4 months. If errors are found in the documents, or additional documentation is required, the period will be extended;
- Once you have received the visa, you must come to Portugal and register at your place of residence. Within 3 working days after arrival you must register as a resident in the SEF. Then you need to come for an interview. An authorised person will review the application for up to 2 weeks. Once the application is approved, you are entitled to all the benefits of the visa.
How to get a D7 Visa in Portugal
To get a Digital Nomad Visa in Portugal 2022 quickly, contact IT-OFFSHORE experts.