Gambling license Curaçao in 2023
In 2023 the government of Curacao plans to submit to Parliament a law that will change the procedure for obtaining a gambling license. If it is approved and passed, Curaçao's gambling license in 2023 will not be issued by the organization which holds the general permit. Instead, the Gambling Authority will give it.
Curaçao: how gambling licenses were issued in 2022
There are now two gambling licenses available in Curaçao. Only four companies get broad powers with the General License from the government. Its owners may not only open a casino, but also issue a sub-license to companies interested in gambling. Once granted a sublicense, the owner may not renew it again. It is valid as long as the primary license is valid. In turn, the owner of the general permit must renew it every five years.
Such a system makes the administrative burden on the government and supervisory bodies easier. It relieves them of the obligation to review all the papers and control the operators thoroughly. The authorities shifted this task to owners of general permits.
How to become a sublicense holder
Each company issuing a sublicense has its rules, which must be adhered to. For example, to engage in gambling activities in Curacao in 2023, you have to:
- Open a company on the island.
- Hire a local employee to represent your interests.
- Send documents to the company that holds the primary license. It includes a charter, business plan, resume of the business owner, and a domain certificate. It is necessary to show a document proving the game's fairness. You also need a list of countries where you plan to do business.
- Provide information about all servers, software, etc.
- Install at least one server in Curacao.
The general license owner checks every applicant thoroughly and will only give permission once they fully meets all the requirements.
What will change in the new law 2023
The new law will probably be presented to Parliament in the 2nd quarter of 2023. Its purpose is to learn more about sub-license holders, about whom the authorities currently need more information.
- There are plans to create a Gaming Authority to oversee the issuance and maintenance of all licenses.
- Holders of general permits must apply for a license from the Curaçao Gaming Authority within three months. The transition period is 18 months, during which they must transition to the new rules.
- Each gambling company must also obtain a permit from the Curaçao Gambling Authority. The procedure has not yet been worked out. The transition will happen automatically.
- Sublicense holders will be given a transition period. Then, within a year, it should adjust the company's operations to the new rules and requirements.
The new law has stricter rules for companies planning to get a Curacao license. For example, each company will have to sign up three employees who will monitor money laundering and ensure compliance with the principles of fair play.
How to obtain a Curacao gambling license
To obtain a Curaçao gambling license in 2023, contact IT-OFFSHORE experts.